Pages

Thursday 13 August 2015

Easy Peasy Recipe: Shiitake Mushrooms


I used to wonder why would my shiitake mushrooms turn out dry and hard even after being cooked in the slow cooker for hours. 

After some troubleshooting, I tried the following tips from Just One Cookbook:

1. Soak dry shiitake mushrooms with hot water in a bowl.

2. Press mushrooms down with another bowl so mushrooms will not float and the weight helps with even soaking. Bowl in a bowl for about 20 minutes.

3. Rinse soaked mushrooms with cold water, and squeeze mushrooms dry.

4. Stems must be cut off. 

5. Cook mushrooms under meat, so that they do not float and weight of the meat will help press mushrooms down for even cooking and better taste.

Steps 2, 4 and 5! Alright.

So I did exactly the above today for our 5-spice chicken with shiitake mushrooms dish. We got ourselves the most succulent mushrooms and chicken for dinner tonight! 

must really have a word with my family to allow me to snap photo of the dish first before they dig in. Sure. They will look at me funny as soon as those words come out of my mouth. Fine.

Bon appetit!

0 comments:

Post a Comment