Pages

Wednesday 14 January 2015

Easy Peasy Recipe: Overnight Oats

caught the overnight oats convenience bug for about a year now and I am pleased with the results. This simple, no cooking required recipe has kept my cholesterol index healthy. 

As much as I enjoy this cold breakfast, I also indulge in the occasional warm oats porridge on a weekend when not rushing to be out of the door for school run.

The easy-peasy steps, as you may already know:

1. Place 3 tablespoons of rolled oats into a jar. I use an airtight jar from IKEA because I happen to have a couple in storage. 



2. Add 200ml goats milk (you may use milk or soya milk, according to your preference). The easy formula is oat to milk ratio being 1:1.

3. Stir as lightly as possible to soak oats evenly. The more you stir, the thicker the oats as more beta-gluten is released. I just swirl the contents nowadays.


4. Place jar with lid tightly closed into the fridge overnight.

5. Stir well and serve with topping of choice. You may choose to scoop portions out of the jar to add toppings and serve; or eat from the jar after adding toppings.

I usually add one fruit with one type of nut or seed topped with one type of condiment. It is a fun game of adding whatever is acailable from my larder/fruit basket! As a result, I do not have a particular favourite combination and secretly love the surprise I give my family every morning. Different textures, colour and taste all help to keep my young ones interested. 


Firm favourites in the household: 
a) blueberries, walnuts, cinnamon powder, honey.

b) banana slices, cashew nuts, raisins, nutmeg powder, maple syrup (non-sugared). 

c) strawberries, dried apricot slices, dehydrated nutmeg slices, wolfberries, chia seeds.

How do you like your overnight oats served, my lovelies? Please do share!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for breakfast in the office!
    We have oats, mill and a fridge in the office and I can stop by cold storagefor some fresh fruits and nuts

    Thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salam Puan L,

      Soak before leaving office and cold breakfast awaits after a hot and humid LRT ride. Yums!!

      Delete