Pages

Friday 18 October 2013

Songs We Sing

Bean and I get pockets of quality time together when The Other Half does the school run with The Little Girl on weekdays.

We usually plonk ourselves in the play mat and sing songs with hand/feet actions.

Our song list includes:
The Wheels Of The Bus
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
The Old Grand Duke Of York
This Little Piggy
Incy Wincy Spider
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Mulberry Bush

Occasionally we include a new song for variety. Quite often we change the lyrics too. 

He gets quite tired after that repertoire and will usually signal for milk, books, walkies or diaper change depending on what he feels like having.

Bean is turning 4 months tomorrow and already he knows how to request for his favourite songs via hand or feet motion, especially at bed time. When I guess his hint correctly and performs it to his satisfaction, he beams me his trademark gummy grin!

Back in 2010 with The Little Girl, singing those songs felt unnatural to me. She is the first baby I have ever had to care for, and my years of professional practice did not once involve children songs or nursery rhymes. I even had to buy books and CDs to reacquaint myself with what I have learnt during my own childhood.

Rote learning works, I'd have to concur. Ever so important a skill for eventual recitation of The Holy Quran, in sha Allah!

0 comments:

Post a Comment