Pages

Monday 20 May 2013

Second Pregnancy: Week 35

"Not time yet, Bean!"
 
"Stay in there!"
 
"It is not June just yet!"
 
Alhamdulillah, I am leaking colostrum. Treatment for my cracked, dry and chapped nipples, I use Lansinoh and Medela Purelan 100.
 
Alhamdulillah I am still having Braxton Hicks (but sometimes it is a wee bit painful and I actually time the intervals - just in case). My body reacts to stress. When The Other Half and The Little Girl get into one of their many battles of the wills, I end up with painful contractions! Totally not fair.
 
Alhamdulillah I am taking enough fibres and manage to keep constipation and piles at bay.
 
Alhamdulillah the hospital bag is packed into my preferred small size black trolley bag (no heavy lifting required). Note with missing items have been handed to The Other Half so he knows what to buy if I need them.
 
Alhamdulillah the hospital route has been worked out and practiced for different traffic conditions/time of day.
 
Alhamdulillah work is almost complete with just a few more documents to draft. I do most of my work at night after The Little Girl has gone to bed.
 
I still have not gotten pre-admission letter from my ob-gyn (obviously it is still too early). Our next appointment is at the end of Week 36 and I may request for one. If anything happens now, I will just have to head to ER without any letters. I hope a credit card security for payment will do.
 
Maybe I should line my bed tonight, just in case my water breaks.

23 May 2013: False Alarm Episode

After dinner at The Flat Upstairs, at about 9.30 p.m., I started noticing contractions that were lasting 3 minutes or more, and totalled more than 6 in one hour. Rang the hospital at 10.30 p.m. and informed them that there was no show/no water bag leak or break but my contractions were within that frequency. Hospital staff said to go to in for monitoring via CTG at the labour room just to be safe.

Rang The Grandparents (who had left The Flat Upstairs and went back to The House, 40 minutes away) at 10.40 p.m. They promptly did a U-turn and arrived at our place at 11.40 p.m. to watch over (then, a sleeping) Little Girl.

Grabbed the hospital bag (see above, alhamdulillah!), went to ER, got wheeled into the labour room, changed, passed urine, got the CTG strapped on and the nurses rang the ob-gyn up.

A vaginal exam was ordered. No dilation, which was a good thing as we are still "premature". My most uncomfortable vaginal exam ever, I confess. I now know that I am allergic to Hexidin Cream 1%. It was like a ring of fire, burning and painful.

The first "school prefect" type of nurse tried giving me a vaginal exam without first propping me into the right position. She just went ahead and asked me to adjust my position as she probed when I kept saying, "No, no, no. This is not nice!".

I told her to stop.

She went out to get a second nurse. Her exact words before leaving the room were, "I will get you another nurse, maybe her fingers are smaller."

I was like #%*@!

In came the second nurse. The sweet, smiley, gentle but firm person.

She spoke gently and adjusted my posture first. Politely, she requested, "Lie back and relax, please spread your thighs this way. Can we straighten your back? OK, let's breathe in, breathe out, good, let's keep breathing. There. No dilation, we are done."

It was over in less than 2 minutes.

The only irritation left was from the Hexidin Cream.

Before we left the labour ward, the nurses took my urine sample for tests, just in case of an infection. As for the Hexidin, we were advised to request for water based gel next time since we now know about my adverse reaction. The immediate treatment for the irritation is to rinse as much as possible off.

My ob-gyn also asked the nurses to inform me that I need more rest. 

Needless to say, I am not allowed to handle any drama from The Little Girl whenever she insists on being carried in the haste of emotional meltdown or tantrums (she is a mere 13kg!) since then. Earlier that day, The Little Girl had a two hour meltdown (refusing to change her diapers, refusing to go on the potty, speeding on her indoor car, jumping up and down the sofa, running at top speed at home etc.) I had to carry her on my hips when "all hell broke loose" just to calm her down.

Oh what a long night it was.

I was discharged at 2 a.m. when the Braxton Hicks ceased. Amazingly, Bean was as cool as cucumber and stopped practising. Stealth mode on, I kind of looked like a complete idiot.

The bill came up to RM10.

Seriously.

Home we went, The Grandparents went to sleep at The Flat Upstairs. We went to bed. The Little Girl did not notice anything amiss. We showed her photographs taken at the labour ward the following morning before she went to school.
 
So.
 
Back to positive reinforcement.
 
"Not time yet, Bean!"
 
"Stay in there!"
 
"It is not June just yet!"
 
Question: Is your pregnancy this interesting/dramatic/memorable too? *hehe*
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment