Pages

Sunday 16 September 2012

Retrospective Wisdom: Week 17

"It has been 15 weeks since conception. Your baby weighs about 142 grams and is roughly the same size as the placenta at this point. From here on, your baby will surpass the placenta in size, although the placenta continues to grow.

Brown fat is the substance that helps keep your baby warm after birth. It is built up under the skin. This week your baby started laying down some brown fat which will continue to develop until birth.

Your baby is developing reflexes in the uterus. One of the big milestones this week is that your baby can hear loud noises outside the uterus. You may actually feel your baby startle when you hear a loud or sudden noise." - excerpt from The Complete Illustrated Pregnancy Companion by Robin Elise Weiss with Dr. Marcello Pietrantoni.

One morning just after flushing the toilet, I felt a "big kick" or what I interpreted to be a startle. It had been 2 months since I stopped work and I felt so grateful to Z for allowing me to be a stay at home mother-to-be. I could rest as much as I needed to without office deadlines!
 
Afternoon naps were regular to boost my energy levels. This was also the wetter period with daily rainfall in the evenings so gardening had to be postponed.

It has become my habit now to check for any bleeding or spotting, back or abdominal pain, contractions, gush of fluid from vagina and breast size. Z had to give me more back rubs to ease the backache too!
 
**Retrospective Wisdom: Those naps may look so indulgent at that point but looking back, I am so glad I took all the siesta I could! There is comparatively no rest once the baby is born.**

0 comments:

Post a Comment